Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 7, 2012

I Don't Need those Stinking Beta-Blockers


If my unconscious mind asks the question why not stop taking my meds, would that action leave me no worse off health wise? Is this a message or just my own resistance to medication? When I do have an atrial fibrillation episode I reach for my beta-blockers and they do the trick. So what is the upside assuming that not taking them has no deleterious effects on my heart functionality? My metabolism will shoot higher, I will burn more calories and I will not be out of breath as quickly in the anaerobic zone. 

Is that reason enough to stop taking them? Maybe my cardiologist might weigh in to say that meds are better than no meds. I am just not so sure and the only way I can evaluate my non-PhD. theory is to test it on myself and that’s what I am going to do. I am just off them 3 days now and I witnessed my HR rise during the peak of exercise from 140 to 163 and although I don’t trust those heart rate monitors for true accuracy my caloric burn went from 366 to 662 today in Kristen’s Spin Class. I will keep a log and see where it brings me. I secretly am hoping for yet another round of lost pounds to a level I have not seen since I was 45.  



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you crazy. Every episode of Afib as an effect on your heart. One of these days you will run out of luck if you continue this kind of behavior.

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

I appreciate your comment however even with a strong regimen of taking these tablets I have not been able to prevent episodes hence my thought that I only take them when I do have an episode. Rest assured that if this experiment goes awry I will discontinue my experiment.

Anonymous said...

Bull you are not alway compliant

Anonymous said...

only a fool experiments with their health

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

To the comment "BULL" just how would you know if I am compliant or not? And I never said that I was compliant. I have been foolish yes but I never said that I was always compliant.

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

My point is that beta-blockers do not curb my episodes. They slow my heart rate down but they do not prevent me from having episodes. That has been my experience.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE CRAZY
keep playing that game with your heart and health see where that lands you
looking to lose more weight
a few pounds could serve you well,
you have lost all of your sex appeal